Vietnamese Shrimp Cakes
This is a simple and delicious dish.
- 12 ounces of peeled raw baby shrimp
- 1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 medium shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
1. Blitz the garlic and shallots in a food processor and then add the shrimp, sugar, salt, pepper and rice flour and pulse until it becomes a paste.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan on high heat and scoop the shrimp paste directly into the hot oil.
3. Flatten each scoop of shrimp paste with a spatula.
4. Pan fry both sides until golden brown, about three minutes per side.
5. Serve with fish sauce and enjoy!
Note: Originally I coated the shrimp cakes in a light dusting of rice flour when before pan-frying, but I found this didn’t improve the texture, so I left that out of the recipe. The only photos taken however, are of the rice flour covered cakes.